This blog is now retired. My new site is at: Predictably Irrational.

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Hilltop Hideaway: Day Two

Today we went down the mountain for supplies. You would have thought we were stocking up for a trip to an alaskan island that would soon have little access to the world. We not only got our Thanksgiving supplies, but we got more...

It was nice to see how the mountain path looked going down. It was just as scary. And then going back up was still daunting, but at least this time we knew where we were going. Tim admitted that the first time, there was no telling where 'the road' would take in, keep trucking and then woops, we just went over the cliff. Or -- how the hell will I turn this truck around to get back down?

Anyway, the view this morning was amazing. I am not kidding: we are on top of a mountain. We can see Grandfather Mountain from here -- a big prominent and unique rock jutting from the top of another mountain in the distant.

It is quiet. And peaceful. And plain beautiful. And having family here, at least on the paternal side, makes it even more amazing.

I don't have internet access, but Tim does. Of course, he is always mobile, subscribing to Sprint wireless everywhere. I had written about three blog posts on my macbook and tried to figure out how to get those posts on Tim's machine so I could actually post them. I did get a wifi connection on the mac, but I had to stand on my head, with my left hand on the ground and even with that, I lost the connection because I took a breath...

So now, I'm doing Day Two on Tim's PC. My background music come courtesy of Tim's two brothers, who are playing drums and lead guitar. Tim is munching away; he was on the bass. So yes, Tim packed up every musical equipment he owns (sans the piano) and equipped our little cabin in the sky with it. It's pretty darn cool...

I did take a little run down the mountain. I dragged Tim along since I didn't want a bear to eat me.

It took approximately 6.26 minutes to run from the top of our mountain to the part that starts going uphill...not necessarily the bottom, but pretty close. That's about 1/3 of the time it takes to DRIVE down the mountain. And it was great! I could have ran longer but first, Tim thought it would take a really long time to go back up and two, I heard a dog barking further away that brought me to a slow halt (it's hard to abruptly stop coming from the top of a mountain).

I love dogs. I have almost always had dogs in my life. But I don't like OTHER dogs chasing me down while running or on a bike. As a child, I fell off my bike with a dog chasing me...luckily he didn't eat me, but I have been traumatized ever since.

So as soon as I heard the dog barking at us, I asked if the dog was running towards us. Tim said yes and I thought, mountain people aren't going to have electric fencing...

So I grabed Tim and tried to play calm. But as soon as I saw the dog - a pretty big, puppy-looking, yellow lab with a collar and tags (assuming rabies), I knew he wouldn't eat me.

And he didn't. In fact, the dog ran PAST us as we started back up the hill. Show off. He ran ahead and turned around like, what are we doing now?

And this dog was the prettiest dog. He ran with us all the way back up the hill, about 400 meters from our cabin when Tim said "Let's run back down". I thought he was yanking my chain...being sarcastic because, well, running back up did not take us 6.26 minutes.

So we turned around and went back down. Which felt GREAT. Running downhill, on a mountain, is AWESOME. I loved it and felt no pain -- except where my fresh tattoo burned like crazy -- and was having my runner's high. The dog had it too because he joined us. Tried to show us a shortcut by running straight down the side of the mountain, which is at a 89 degree angle, and then ran back up it. I did some dog interpretation "Come over here! Check out where I buried this one guy..." and then he ran back up the side of the mountain and I thought, here's where I buried the other guy...

So we made it back close to where we met the dog and turned around to go back up. The first 200 felt great and easy. Once I stopped for a walk break my legs turned to rubber...and my heart raced and my lungs were screaming.

But we did it and with a little more than 200 meters left to the cabin, Tim said let's kick it! Kick it was me running behind Tim trying as hard as possible to _appear_ as though I was kicking it, but running straight up, well, it's not that easy to go any faster than I did. But I didn't stop and I made it, using every last breath I had in me.

And the yellow lab was greeted by Toby, a male boxer from Uncle Joey's side of the family, and Brenna, of course, our boxer. Brenna actually took to our new running buddy, which was pretty funny because she's been running away from Toby since he got here. I would too if some dude kept trying to hump me. But the yellow lab seemed to be more 'her type'.

Man, I wish I had gotten a picture of that dog!

Tim and his brothers took him back home. I heard that the dog loved their company so much that when they drove off, in Tim's big ass truck, he ran and jumped into the bed of the truck.

This may not sound unusual, but *I* cannot even push myself up to sit on the back of the truck. It is about 4 feet off the ground. And the dog cleared it!

Philip, Tim's younger brother, eventually had to walk the dog back to his house and put him on a leash that was somewhere out there. I expect to see that dog back here soon though.

But day two has been amazing. I've become quite the fire whisperer - making sure the fireplace keeps going and the wood keeps a burning. Now don't think I am becoming someone who lives off the land. I still need my Harris Teeter and of course, my TV...

...and Tim's PC to get my blog going...

No comments:

Post a Comment